Sunday, April 17, 2011

BLOG #4

In the article A Defining Momenthttp://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/profdev/profdev139.shtml the focus is on how teachers deal with being only human and making mistakes. It doesn't so much focus on the mistake itself but rather on how it is dealt with. Different scenarios are explained along with the technique used to confront the situation. I experienced a similar situation this past Friday at a science camp. It was a task given to the group of children to label the steps of the water cycle. It had been a while since I'd last gone over the water cycle myself, so when me and my partner were corrected, that was our defining moment. We went about the situation in acknowledging our mistake and showing appreciation for their knowledge. We gave them the sense of pride in being so knowledgeable on the topic. The child walked away with the feeling of accomplishment and pride. There was no ridicule in the situation. Finding this article was a bit ironic for me especially after just recently experiencing my own defining moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment